MCFH S6E9 - DEATH BLAMED ON CAT, STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT, CATS SEPARATED IN HOME
Show: My Cat From Hell Season 6, Episode 9
Episode Title: Woody the Killer Kitty
2 year old orange & white male; found at 6 months old alone outside of a liquor store by male guardian.
Guardians: Phil and Sandy
Phil and Sandy have been married for 10 years. They were guardians to a cat named Velvet who passed away in November of 2014, and they also have a 10 year old cat with one eye named Pirate.
How Bad Is It?
Phil and Sandy are putting the blame on Woody for the death of Velvet. They now fear that Woody is going to target Pirate, so they keep the cats completely separated. This has caused tension and fighting in the home, and Phil insists on finding Woody a new home.
- Blame and resentment towards Woody for Velvet’s death; traumatized guardians.
- Cats are separated and need to be integrated into one shared space.
- Young cat has excess energy and no outlet.
Cats are territorial and extremely sensitive to their environment. When integrated two cats into one home, you cannot just throw them in the same room and expect a good result. They need to become familiar with one another over time, and eventually they can share the same space in peace. The first step when trying to integrate two cats into one space is to practice feeding exercises that help them become familiar with one another. This can be done by feeding them on opposite sides of a door or screen, and eventually you can give them a visual of one another during meal time. This can create a positive association that food is good, so the other cat must be good, too. Another exercise is site swapping, which means letting the cats explore each other’s separate spaces in the home. This allows them to become familiar and comfortable with the scent of the other cat that they will be sharing a home with. Once they are integrated into the same space, you can use treats and toys, such as a laser toy, to distract the cats away from any conflict that may unfold in this new situation.
Young cats tend to have excess energy and if they do not have a positive outlet to burn this energy, it may come out in a negative way. They may begin to annoy any older animals in the home, which can lead to tension and fighting. If you make sure to play with them until they are drained of this excess adolescent energy, they will be relaxed and content, and won’t bother any other animals in the home. Playing with all cats in the home will also help to build their “mojo” or confidence, and keep them happy and content.
Losing a member of your family is hard to deal with, and it is sometimes difficult not to put blame on yourself or other members of the family for this loss. In this case, Velvet became sick right around the time that Phil brought Woody into the home. When she passed away, the family felt that Woody had put too much stress on her and caused her to die. They also blamed themselves for bringing him into the home. But after Jackson analyzed the situation, he was sure that Woody did not cause Velvet to pass away. The guardians were holding onto resentment and creating a negative, chaotic energy in the home. A great way to release any built up resentment is to write down all of these feelings, and work towards healing and letting go. Once you have let go, erase all of these negative feelings and you will have a fresh start.
When a pet passes away, it can be traumatizing for a family. It is difficult not to look at your other pets and begin to fear their passing. This can cause unnecessary stress in the home and create a negative environment. In Woody’s home, his guardians feared he was going to cause Pirate to pass away prematurely, so they were constantly stressed and chaotic. This puts stress on the animals, and can create tension and aggression. Pirate has one eye and is 10 years old, so he was looked at as old and handicapped, but that is certainly not the case. A cat does not feel handicapped even if they are missing an eye, and building their self confidence will only make them stronger and happier. Once the guardians calmed down and created a positive environment, the cats were able to calm down and finally get to know one another.
Spirit Essences solutions that might be helpful in this type of situation are:
Ultimate Peacemaker is a set consisting of three formulas: Bully Solution, Peacemaker, and Self-Esteem. Jackson used Ultimate Peacemaker in the case of Woody and Pirate to reduce any conflict or tension that may have arisen while integrating these two into the same space.
- Bully Solution
- This formula is to be used on the dominant pets in multi-animal homes, sometimes known as “bullies,” who want to control and dominate other animals. Bully Solution is formulated to reduce dominant tendencies in “bully” animals and help them to relax and let others go about their business. Woody was an adolescent cat that was full of energy, and seemed to dominate and patrol the home. Jackson used Bully Solution to help Woody relax and let Pirate go about his business.
- Peacemaker is formulated to reduce or eliminate aggression, tension, and jealousy between animals. It is designed to help keep the peace and ease conflicts in multi-animal families. It should be given to all of the animals in the household consistently to see the best results, and a great way to make sure everyone is getting their share is to add drops to the community water bowl. Peacemaker was administered to both Woody and Pirate to reduce any tension or conflict that may have occurred while getting comfortable with one another.
- Self-Esteem is formulated for animals who lack self-confidence or who are overly submissive. This formula is designed for the picked-on/victim animal, and may help the victim stand up for himself and stop tolerating teasing and abuse. Studies in cats, for example, show that once the victim confronts its attacker, the attacker generally stops picking on it as vigorously. This formula is a great support while using other tools, such as play therapy, to build up an animal’s confidence, or “mojo.” Jackson used Self-Esteem when working with Pirate to ensure that her confidence was strong, and that if her younger cat companion was to pick on her, she would stand up for herself.
Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences™ work best when part of a more holistic program, that may include proper veterinary care, diet, behavior modification, and other holistic modalities. Consult your veterinarian before adding any new product to your pet’s care regimen. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.